By Kelsey Gibson
One Day in Florence
Florence: so many sights to see, foods to devour and places to be; but, can you conquer it all in one day? YES!
Even though I would never recommend trying to take in the beautiful Firenze in one day, here is a guide to be able to make the most of one day in Florence.
1. One of the most popular attractions in Florence is the Duomo in the center of the city. Tourists flow from all over the world to climb up the 463 steps to get a picture of the picturesque and unforgettable view.
But instead of waiting for the long line, try climbing up the Bell Tower! It always has a shorter line, less steps, different perspective at the top where you can actually get a view of the Duomo, and it something a little more unique to do!
2. Next you can head over to the Central Market to shop through the fresh market full of local produce downstairs. You can also grab a light lunch on the the second floor after working up an appetite from climbing up the Bell Tower.
3. Right outside the Central Market, you will find yourself in the midst of anything and everything leather in the San Lorenzo Leather Market. Get ready to play the bargain game here, if you play your cards right, you can come home with some real leather treasures!
4. After searching through the leather market, go see the real statue of David. Hint: buy your tickets ahead of line for a certain time in order to skip the lines that wrap around the corner.
5. Ready for a mid day snack? Head a little out of the way to Ponte Santa Trinita for some authentic and refreshing gelato. Here you can enjoy your gelato with a beautiful view of the Ponte Vecchio!
6. While you are already across the river in the “Oltrarno” neighborhood simply get lost in it for a couple hours! You will find many artisan shops, the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens, and the local bars and restaurants of Santo Spirito.
7. From Santo Spirito head towards San Niccolo and climb up to Piazzale Michelangelo justs in time for sunset! Here you will come upon people sharing wine and enjoying the impeccable view.
8. After taking in this breath taking view of the whole city center, head back down the hill and stop by the Santa Croce church and grab a mojito from … during their apertivo, which is arguably the best one in town!
9. After trying this Italian drink, the fun isn’t over yet. Head back over to Santo Spirito to eat dinner at Osteria Santo Spirito! The gnocchi dish is so creamy that you won’t be able to stop no matter how full you feel! The steps of the church in the square is a wonderful place to enjoy some friendship, local music and dancing, and maybe even a drink from one of the many local bars.
Florence is the perfect walkable city full of intriguing wall art, famous sites, and amazing food. You could spend weeks but still never get bored in this small city. However, you can still make the most of only one day in Florence.
Did we miss anything? Share you comments below!
Here at TIS we are specialists in custom travel planning, so if you are looking for more info on visiting Bella Firenze simply contact us here.
Kelsey is the Part Time Assistant Travel Consultant for Travel Italian Style and is a student at the University of Mississippi studying Hospitality Management with a minor in Spanish and Business Administration. Kelsey took part in an exchange program in Argentina in high school which created a flourishing passion for travel and learning about other cultures. From then on she took every advantage to study abroad and backpack through Europe. This past summer, Kelsey interned for a local restaurant, Touch, in Florence, Italy and fell in love with the Italian culture. She was able to have a real local experience by making friends with coworkers and locals. She wants to make it possible for everyone who travels to be completely immersed into the culture in order to gain another perspective and to be able to enjoy life even more.