Puglia & Basilicata
8 Day Tour of Southern Italy
September 18-26, 2017
Introducing Puglia and Basilicata
The Heel of the 'Boot" & the Heart of Authentic Italy
Baroque architecture, the fairytale village of Alberobello, white sand beaches with pristine water, streets lined by
olive groves--Southern Italy is the hidden GEM and TIS is so excited to be one of the few tour operators to bring you there!
Get ready for a true authentic southern experience where native historian guides and a local Italian family will introduce you to the amazing slow food cuisine, teach you the local music, accompany you to breathtaking mountain towns and of course introduce you to the regions food and wine!
Your host, Cassandra has lived, worked, and been traveling Italy for over 10 years. As a Sicilian-American, she enjoys spending time in southern Italy with her friends and learning more about the life of the fantastic local people and their culture each after year!
The Untouched Regions of Southern Italy
1. Did you know this region produces about 40% of Italy's olive oil, is the home of UNESCO cities dating back to 7th Century BC and that it produces more wine than any other locations in Italy!?
2. Travel & Leisure Magazine says it best : "Despite it's cultural richness and architecture, Puglia is still one of the least explored regions of Italy, offering a coastline bathed by two crystal blue seas: The Adriatic and the Ionian."
3. Basilicata and Puglia are known for it's Burrata cheese as well as Durum wheat which is use to make their local pasta and bread unique!
Our Plan for the Week
Learn the traditions of Puglia: Our local partners are giving us a warm autumn welcome! You will participate in an olive oil harvest, pasta making classes, wine and cheese tastings, a private local music gathering, and much more.
Visit the UNESCO Villages of Alberobello and Matera:
Enjoy a visit to one of Southern's Italy most remarkable UNESCO sites! You will be fascinated by the 14th Century fairytale village filled with limestone conical-roofed, trulli and the "Sassi di Matera', one of the third oldest cities in the world.
Walk the streets of Picturesque Puglia: White-washed buildings, miles of blue seas, charming churches, and breathtaking cliffs are just some highlights of your day exploring Polignano a Mare and Ostuni.
Open Your Mind to Hidden Villages of the Dolomites: Allow your breath to be taken away by the Medieval mountain towns of Pietrapertosa and Castelmezzano, known as 'a world of gold." Of course we will taste the local specialites made by natives of the region!
Discover the "Florence of the South," Lecce: Lonely Planet says "If Puglia was a movie, Lecce would cast as the starring role." A beautiful baroque city that has been known to have the same charm as our beloved Firenze up North. We will kick the day off with a guided tour with a native from the region who will even bring us to the best pastry shop in town!
Meet Your Host:
CEO + Founder, Cassandra Lena Santoro
As a Sicilian-American, Italian Travel Expert Cassandra Santoro’s attachment to Italy started early. After her father’s untimely passing from cancer, she moved to Florence and found the true meaning of La Dolce Vita. Since living and working abroad, she has led countless tours, obtained her dual-citizenship and started her company, Travel Italian Style.
As a Personal Trip Planner and Luxury Small Group Tour Operator, Cassandra creates authentic, life-changing vacations for those passionate about their Italian heritage, dreaming of traveling Italy like a local, or looking to find themselves through travel.
We are also honored to partner throughout the week with a local family from the Basilicata region to give you the true Italian experience. They will welcome you in their home and introduce you to back-door Italy!
Our Home for the Week
Our first 6 nights will be enjoyed in a typical Massiera (farmhouse) in the Basilicata countryside 10km from the ancient city of Matera. The home is owned and operated by a delightful local Italian family.
This rustic farm house boasts an olive oil grove, private pool, a communal terrace, inspired by the terraces of the Sassi of Mater, and also a biological farm in which the owners use to create local, authentic meals daily.
We close the week in the Baroque city of Lecce, where will we experience a 19th Century Palace turned luxury B & B. Also operated by local Italian's, this city center accommodation is steps away from the beautiful Piazza Duomo.
The owners strive to create a peaceful, bright, and carefree environment for their guests and they prove so with their modern decor, central location, and daily organic breakfasts.
Your Tour Includes
- Airport Group Pick up at Bari International Airport
- Airport Group Drop off at Brindisi International Airport
- 6 Nights at a Rustic Masseria in Basiciliata
- 2 Nights at a City Center Restored Palace in Lecce
- All transportation (excluding flights)
- Bi-Lingual Tour Assistant for the Week
- Daily Breakfast, Most Lunches, Dinners or Apericena
- Professional guided tour/Day Trips to Ostuni, Polignano a Mare, Pietrapertosa and Castelmezzano & UNESCO Sites Alberobello and Matera
- Fresh pasta making/cooking lesson
- Participation in Olive Oil Harvest and trip to olive press
- Intimate local music concert at the farm
- Half Day Walking Tour of Lecce with Local Pastry Tasting
- Airline Concierge to Assist with Flight Booking
- A Personal Lesson in Southern Italian Dialect by the Family of the Masseria ;)
Price Per Person Based on Double Occupancy: $3,599 USD
Does not include Flights or Travel Insurance | Single Room Request Please Contact Us
I have never heard of Basilicata & Puglia, where are they located?
They are located on the 'heal' of the boot of Italy.
Is there a lot of walking on this trip?
We always say bring your 'walking shoes' to Italy but overall this will be a comfortable and fun filled trip. The toughest of the walks will be in Matera. You can keep active by going on morning runs or taking a mountain bike for a ride while staying in the Masseria.
What is the average temperature?
Average temperature ranges from 73-80 F.
Why are only Most Meals" included but not all meals?
From past trips we learned:
1. Most of our organized meals are served...well...Italian Style!! So they may be a bit filling, therefore we left some time for you to skip a meal (if you are full) or get enjoy something a bit lighter at your leisure.
2. Diets, Restrictions & Allergies..oh my! We understand the pressure of traveling with these requests and we always accommodate in the best possible way. However, we now offer some time for you to enjoy a meal of your choice with no stress! But do not worry there will be no shortage on food, just in case you were wondering!!
Do I have to attend every day trip?
Of course not! We hope you do but you are always welcome to stay back and enjoy 'you' time or coordinate another trip on your own. However, please note this does not change the price of the trip. :)
Can I come as a single?
Yes, we would love to have you! We do not match up roommates so you are welcome to purchase the room at the single rate stated above which is a slight additional fee (so you can have the room all to yourself)!
What Do you mean By Flight Concierge?
Each guest will receive a personal assistant that will research and select flights based on your preferences and costs. They will assist with the booking process (always finding the best deals on the best airlines) then following the booking the team will also monitor your flight going and returning from Italy! If there are any changes or updates they will know first and pass you all the information! It's like having a personal assistant, just for our flights! They can even assist with using your miles or points for an extra fee!
I would like to extend my time in Italy, can you help me plan!
Yes! For an extra cost I would be happy to arrange a plan for you to visit Rome, Amalfi Coast, Naples or anywhere you choose! Let’s chat and I can propose the best package for you!